Boise State University, through the State of Idaho, is a preferred customer of Enterprise Rent-A-Car and it is mandatory that Enterprise be used whenever possible.
The University’s contract rental car rates with Enterprise Rent A Car include both automobile physical damage (collision damage waiver) and automobile liability insurance protection for University employees renting cars on University business.
Before making rental reservations with Enterprise, please review the contract and rental rates. http://vpfa.boisestate.edu/purchasing/contracts-most/#car
This rental car contract is for the entire USA, but it does not include Canada.
For Other Rental Car Companies (when Enterprise is not available or cannot be used):
While the University normally recommends that University departments decline the rental car company’s “Collision Damage Waiver” (CDW) insurance coverage, the final decision is at the department’s option. The University is insured for auto physical damage coverage (including rental cars via commercial rental car companies) subject to certain limitations in the event of an automobile accident. Those limitations are:
- $500 deductible, which is the department’s expense
- Some rental car company loss of use claims.
- Uninsured auto loss costs (also the expense of the University department renting vehicle)
Factors that should be considered before purchasing the rental car company’s CDW are:
- The cost of the CDW coverage and the length of the car rental
- The area of travel-more metropolitan areas have a higher degree of accident risk
- The automobile loss history of the University department
Should a University department have a question about whether or not to purchase CDW coverage from a rental car company; they can call the Risk Management and Insurance office at 426-3636.
To File a Claim
In Case of an Auto Accident in a Rental Automobile
- Offer assistance to anyone injured. Do not move the injured unless absolutely necessary.
- Notify the police and Rental Car Company.
- Don’t comment on the accident. Give information as requested by police; and provide all other information to Rental Car Company and Boise State Risk Management and Insurance.
- Fill out the Rental Car Accident Report Guide.
- Do not accept responsibility for the accident. Do be courteous.
- Forward the completed Rental Car Accident Form to Rental Car Company and to Boise State Risk Management and Insurance without delay.
Any questions about the University’s automobile rental car coverage should be directed to Enterprise Rent-A-Car or Kip McBean, Risk Manager at (208) 426-3636 or via email.